Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Voyage- Part I - OUT

This picture was taken on Day 1. We did not know anything.

In a bit of shock, I realized we are only on Day 26 of this - uh, what really is it? What are the vernacular metaphors for such an event as going through cancer? I find most of them just plain old dumb, others sophomoric, and yet more saccharine.

- roller coaster ride (well, they make you feel sick right?)
- life journey (oooh, too Dr Phil, televangelist)
- voyage out (Hmmm...Spike Jonze, V Woolf)
- psycho rocket ride to La La Land - no wait, those are from the drugs AFTER, my bad
- daily excursion into the unknown of carcinoid hell

Kate's Preferred Definition : The Voyage.

But not only out, but back in. It reminds me both of Virginia Woolf, whom I adore,  and whose books provide me almost everytime with imperfect imagery; and of Where the Wild Things Are, with its implicit messaging of love in a hot meal at the end of  long journey, no questions asked.

But first, there the Voyage - Part I - OUT

From Section II Time Passes
To the Lighthouse
V. Woolf

"Well, we must wait for the future to show," said Mr. Bankes. coming in from the terrace.
"It's almost too dark to see," said Andrew, coming up from the beach.
"One can hardly tell which is the sea and which is the land," said Prue.

And from Where the Wild Things Are
M. Sendak

and he sailed off through night and day
and in an out of weeks and almost over a year
to where the wild things are.

xo K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I am not sure what I can write that adequately describes what i am feeling.

To quote Roy Orbison...

Anything you want, you got it;
Anything you need, you got it;
Anything at all, you got it!!!

If I can do anything to help you or distract you, please let me know.

Now I know with every little fiber of my being that you are going to KICK cancer's ass.

Really, I am surprised that cancer would even dare to mess with you! Does cancer know who it is dealing with? What a force you are?? As soon as cancer hears your wall rattling, earth shaking, infectious laugh...it will be quaking in its boots.

Cancer, please be forewarned...you have picked the wrong lady to mess with!! Cancer, you are in for a SERIOUS ass whooping.

To quote an equally talented musician as Roy Orbison...the brilliant LL Cool J...
"I'm gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)"

I suggest this be the anthem of The Voyage.

...the cd is in the mail.

Michelle B from MOE

Auntie Cake's Shop said...

danka baby! voyage now has tunes! wuhoo xo