Friday, October 1, 2010

Today's Torture Question?! What is a Bone Scan.

Good thing I took all that great advice not to do iternet research to heart, until the day of the procedure....phew!

here is the down low for my bone scan today at 10 am - from the University of North Carolina Medical Centre -

What is a bone scan?


A bone scan is a specialized radiology procedure used to examine the various bones of the skeleton to identify areas of physical and chemical changes in bone. A bone scan may also be used to follow the progress of treatment of certain conditions.

A bone scan is a type of nuclear radiology procedure. This means that a tiny amount of a radioactive substance is used during the procedure to assist in the examination of the bones. The radioactive substance, called a radionuclide, or tracer, will collect within the bone tissue at spots of abnormal physical and chemical change.

The radionuclide emits a type of radiation, called gamma radiation. The gamma radiation is detected by a scanner, which processes the information into a picture of the bones.

The areas where the radionuclide collects are called "hot spots," and may indicate the presence of conditions such as malignant (cancerous) bone tumors, metastatic bone cancer (cancer which has spread from another site, such as the lungs), bone infections, bone trauma not seen on ordinary x-rays, and other conditions of the bone.

SO......this is a test i want a NEGATIVO on. But on the upside, I am going to emit GAMMA rays, like right out of a Simpson episode. coooool.

7 comments:

Paddy C said...

Kate, not long into my treatment the hematologist who had been assigned to me said (after looking at the books stacked up in my hospital room):

"You can read too much."

So.Very.True.

Reading is bad. Books, and the interwebs, at this point, are for burning not reading.

Warmth is better than knowledge.

Ignorance is bliss.

BTW: The bone scan doesn't stick out in my memory so I assume it must have been painless.

It will be fine.

Hugs and kisses.

Auntie Cake's Shop said...

Danka darlin

I am feeling scared and cranky pissy actually mostly bcs I am freaked about what they might find

Sigh

Hugs back

Bob K said...

Kate, just got back from almost four weeks in New Brunswick, and am so sorry to hear the news. Travelling back in time, reading all your blog entries, it is amazing to me how quickly things change and develop. Your optimism and love of life are amazing and really show through.

Had a dream last night about you, unfortunately not a happy one, I saw you, held you, and cried. I am thinking about you and will wait for each new piece of news with hope.

Love,

Bob

Paddy C said...

All the tests are stressful because you think "something's going to be there."

But so many of them are just due diligence. Like the bone scan.

I had an AIDS test because the type of lymphoma I had is often associated with HIV/AIDS.

"Is it AIDS, Jerry?!? AIDS!"

GTFOOH. Of course not. They just gotta do it.

Auntie Cake's Shop said...

due diligence is a pain in the boob. and hip. and arm. ha ha

Kristine said...

Yeesh, well at least it's over with. You are indubitably Mrs. Brave, you continue to inspire the crap out of me every day. Be sure to treat yourself to one of your favorite things...at least one!

Auntie Cake's Shop said...

love ya, Krissy and Bob, and Paddy, and all - for your perpetual and significant support. Today sucked. And It sucked me dry. But I try to find the humour in it. what the hell else is there...

mouah mouah LOL