Tuesday, November 30, 2010

All We Want for Christmas

So no big surprise, but Santa has not received any mail from #20 Corley. My guess is that is because my kids can barely think beyond the next 24 hours, let alone to Christmas. We have lights up, and the two, yes two - advent calendars are up - the lovely Playmobil "Santa in the Forest" scene, revealed one tiny animal or tree at a time, till Dec 24th - and the lovely Italian candy version - replete with a nutty Italian version of Mother Christmas - La Befana -who fills tiny little stockings with chocolate till Dec 24th. Ours looks a lot like a Snowman in a dress, but we seem to be able to suspend our disbelief. [The legend alone is great. Guilt-laden hideous old lady gives candy to kids to ease her guilt about not helping the Three Wise Men, weird.]

But back to the presents - Owen is hard pressed to even come up with one thing - he told me he needs to give it some real thought. Naomi has waved her arms in the general direction of all the ads on Teletoon, but with little enthusiasm. Vague and notional. We did all however root through the World Vision Catalog, and have selected various gifts - mosquito nets, piglets, books, food for street children, fruit trees, agricultural starter packs, and a newly sponsored 11 yr old boy in Mongolia.  It was hard to narrow it down to a manageable amount.

To me, this is a sign of our new normal - here and now. The lights are up, but the spirit is weak, the flesh even less willing. We are living it, because it is the assigned time of year to live in such a fashion. It does help, the cheeriness and colour. But not so much as you would think for the wee ones.

Me,  my list is simple - I want my hair back. I want my kids not to be sad or taut-faced with the inhumane stresses of a sick parent. I want my husband to be able to focus on his writing for a change. I want my parents to be able to go south for a warm winter, warm their bones. I want my siblings to have less stress, more fun, enjoy.

So, we are off to Great Wolf Lodge to have some fun on Friday. 

xo KO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have an amazing time Kate et al!! Nothing better than a bit of water therapy!

love,g

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time, there will be oodles of time for warm bones,now is when we need to care and luv u lots and lots!