Friday, November 12, 2010

the gloves are comin' off

Tonight I attended a dance in a high school gym. OK, that makes it sound a little bit well, you know, lame - but seriously - in the vernacular -"it was sick." [for the over 50 set read: great] The imagination is an amazing thing once unleashed -  lights, sound, music - the colour red and grown ups dressed in stupid outfits  hilarious, fantastic, embracing all that good stuff life SHOULD be about - a Red Devil Social. Not a fund raiser, just a "fun" raiser-  you get to do fun stuff like dance, chitty chat, and eat chips and dip. I felt 18 again, except without fear of boys and drinking much less. I also had a lot more physical contact with people, so it was more successful!  I let loose dance wise on a scale previously only induced by some kind of "cocktail" Sherry or Chris might have concocted in 1996 - and then said, hey, let's this is really good...try it!!!

But, for me what makes it astonishing - is that I had full tilt- hammer coming down -knock out chemotherapy 8 days ago.  Last night, I  could not walk more than a step. The white blood cell producing medication kicked in  - and the centre for this growth activity is bone marrow. Mostly the lower spine and hips. Hence why bone marrow transplants take place from the hip. My hips and spine pulsed, as the cells kicked it out. No sitting, lying, walking. It was agony, a new level of pain. Arthritis pain? Baby stuff. Natural childbirth? Pah. And the literature said 24-48 hours of "pain and discomfort." Despair runs deeps, language runs blue. Mummy owes the foul language jar a lot of money.

Pain leads to the little cells, they are reproducing, blocking, fighting this plague. And hell bent for leather me and my little cells are swingin back - the gloves are coming off, people. This thing is not gonna take me down. I danced like there was no one else in the room, and the music was for me - I was there to fling about in wild abandon, breathe, be pain free, and kick it. I was out!! With grown ups! And party food! I asked Jimmy H the DJ in advance for  LL Cool J - even if you are not a rap fan, [ok, me neither], this song is like an anthem to people kickin back at their plague- and not in that "arm-chair with a beer" kind of way.

[Parental warning, this song is RUDE and nasty mostly so don't willy-nilly go downloading it to your itunes if the kiddies are around- someone came up to me on the dance floor and said "did he just say I think I'm gonna bomb a town?"  uh, yeah. he did.]

SO, to LL with thanks - the gloves are comin' off......

Don't you dare stare, you betta move



Don't ever compare


Me to the rest that'll all get sliced and diced


Competition's payin the price

I'm gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)


Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)


Don't u call this a regular jam



I'm gonna rock this land


I'm gonna take this itty bitty world by storm


And I'm just gettin warm


I'm gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
 
Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
Oh, and I won the dance contest. Nice. Prize: water bottle, and cozy socks. Nice. Motto on water bottle: Lifeline Green : safe - sustainable -simple.  If I am going to take this itty bitty thing by storm, I m going to need some hydration.


xo KO

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're on fire!

Gabrielle

Anonymous said...

Whoo Hoooooooooooooo! Go Girl! I can see you in my mind's eye and oh yeah, I'm smilin'! :-) :-)
Remembering how we danced at that first silent auction fundraiser at Norway too :-) Lots of Love, Val x

mandy said...

keep dancing Kate !!!!

Anonymous said...

was so happy to see you out and having a blast, it was a lot of fun (although I was a tad hungover this morning...)!
virginia