Tuesday, February 15, 2011

But the fighter still remains....et merci pour l'homard

Tonight I had a view to another time from my life - Simon and Garfunkel and Lobster (capital accorded due to my love of the bottom feeding beast and those fine young boys from my youth.)

Dinner: Lobster omelet, normally verboten since the husband is allergic, but he did not partake (with ENORMOUS thanks to Bob and Yvon for the gorgeous, lovely, rich and fabulous canned NB lobster, WOW, and of course, Michael for not eating it)

3 eggs
dash of water
2 mushrooms, chopped finely
1 shallot, chopped super fine
3 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp olive oil (ok, those are guesses as to amts)
a big chunk of fresh canned lobster -about 1/4 cup- and NO, I will not share
a bit of really old grated cheddar (about 1/8 c)
fresh ground pepper

1. melt butter, med heat, non stick pan - add oil
2. chop shallots, mushrooms, throw in butter and oil combo
3. add big fat flakes of gorgeous lobster. Try not to eat it ALL before it goes in omelet. add other stuff.
4. Beat 3 eggs with splash of water
5. throw over good stuff in pan - cook.
6. when all is bubbly, nothing is watery, flip expertly onto one half the pan
7. throw on plate, garnish with nothing.
8. eat with GUSTO. let it dribble down your chin and relish it.

Michael bought a CD - Bridge Over Troubled Water and we played it loud.

For those who ask me now - WHY have your breast off and lymph nodes out, now the chemo docs say - "no evidence of disease"? Well,

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
or cut him till he cried out
in his anger and his shame.
I am leaving, I am leaving
But the fighter still remains.
(Simon and Garfunkel, 1968, ironically, the year I was born.)



I remain and I fight because the experts tell me this is the course, the arena, the final battle. Eradicate. Erase. Pathologize. I cannot possible leave it at this point to the fates, or the marauding cells. The reminders of every glove of chemo, painful cancerous cell.... I am in charge here. This is my body, and I will take it as it comes, but it has to be cancer free.

xo KO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry!
I was so happy to hear your good news, best Valentines ever I imagine.
Virginia